Saturday, January 15, 2011

Escher museum

I've finally made it through a full week here! This one dragged by, but I have a feeling the rest will go a bit faster now that I've started my internship (and have actual human interaction!).

On Tuesday, my last day of freedom, I visited Escher at the Palace, a museum about artist M.C. Escher housed at some old palace in The Hague.  I felt like I had to do some kind of sightseeing (because what kind of tourist doesn't sightsee?), and Den Haag has about a million museums. One down, a million minus one to go.

Just another run-of-the-mill palace around here.

Escher's probably more famous for his tessellations (I remember having to try to make one in 5th or 6th grade math. It was ugly and we used no math to draw it) or his crazy reality-bending drawings (like below), but I really like his wood cuts, like this one. I'm not entirely sure why; it's something about the 2-D-ness of it and the bold shapes.  

This is one of those trippy ones. So trippy, in fact, they used it in Labyrinth. 

I may not be able to make tessellations like Escher, but I can make self-portraits in big shiny balls like him.

These next ones aren't pieces by Escher, but I just thought this museum had the craziest chandeliers. I don't know if they were in the palace originally, but they're just nuts. 
An umbrella...

...a pipe (in the background)...

...and a skull. Not to mention a wine bottle, a guitar, a bomb, a globe and an artist's palette. 

I'll have another picture post in a day or two, and then maybe something about my internship, depending on how interesting I think I can make it sound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment