Saturday, January 1, 2011

Bike rush hour

Only 5 days or so until I leave for The Hague, and I've started considering buying a cheap bike while I'm there. Cycling around town is an extremely popular mode of transportation and can normally get you to your destination pretty fast.

Here's my problem: I stopped riding bikes around the 3rd grade. I was bitter that I'd had to use my sister's hand-me-down unicorn bike and since we don't really have a nice neighborhood to ride around (we instead have a big hill up to a dead end), I didn't see the need to get one. So I got my first bike of my own last year and I'm actually not very good at riding it. I can generally get where I'm going, but it can't really be more than a mile away and there can't be any cars around to rush me or scare me off the road.

So can I handle this? (This is in Utrecht, the 4th largest city in the Netherlands. The Hague is 3rd.)


In fast motion, it's hard to tell if anyone is as slow or uncoordinated as me.

2 comments:

  1. You might need to get a tandem since you will be having so many visitors:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you studied Dutch Biking Laws?

    ReplyDelete